Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Life of a Hairstylist (Assistant No More)

What a crazy few months it has been since I last checked in! I had a conversation with a client a while back who said "even though I can't afford vacations I take them and then the opportunities present themselves". Why do I tell you this? Because I applied it to my life ever since. I decided to try this "positivity" thing everyone keeps telling me about and the doors that have opened up have blown me away! In the last few months I have been given opportunities I didn't think were possible along with some mini vacations I have really needed. I have worked more on set, more with some amazing people, headed to Newport for some R & R and Big Bear with some of the coolest people I know :) I know this may not seem like a big deal to most but let me tell you...for me THIS IS HUGE! I am the kind of girl who will shy away or turn things down out of fear and enough is enough! Now I throw myself in blind and figure whatever happens happens. So far so good! I have had some amazing opportunities I would love to share with you all. I received a call from my good friend Ryan Kwanten offering me a lead hair and makeup job on a top secret shoot. I have to say it was one of the most fun shoots with the coolest group of people I have worked with so far. This project, now known as 'Venom: Truth in Journalism", transports you back to the 80's through the eyes of Eddie Brock a.k.a Venom. It is based off of a comic book character and truly worth checking out! It was released at this years Comic Con and got the BEST reviews! it continues to build momentum and was a project I was incredibly grateful to be a part of! Joe Lynch, the director really knows how to have fun on set! He even had an 80's theme dress competition for the crew, sadly I did not win, which made the experience so much more fun :) We had such an adventure on set from filming in the heart of the grossest ally in downtown I have ever seen to an apartment that had nothing but clown shoes left behind in a closet. There is nothing more grounding then walking down an ally downtown to see nothing but pee, poop, needles and half naked homeless couple who I am almost positive were having sex in their cardboard home! Always an adventure on set! I have had the opportunity to work with some of Hollywoods finest and have met some incredible people. One of these people was Sir Anthony Hopkins who I had the pleasure of working with behind the scenes at the D23 Convention. For those of you who don't know what that is, like I didn't, it's Disney's version of Comic Con. I have done everything from making someone's hair look as though it was eating their face, A list celebrities on set to preparing some fine folks for awards shows. As days go on I am finding a place in the chaos. I am excited and feeling more positive every day that I am where I am supposed to be. I am so grateful for everyone who has been by my side day in and day out. Thank you for the support you have given me to keep going. I couldn't be where I am today with out you. Now that may all sound like an Academy Award speech but I am just prepping for my future ;) But seriously thank you. As one last piece of exciting news my website IS OFFICIALLY UP! Please feel free to check it out, see my progress, contact me for bookings and more. WWW.SAMRSTYLES.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment