Monday, May 23, 2011

The Life of an Assistant- Lifestyles of the Rich and Inappropriate...

Ok So it's time for a new blog!

As I have now been at my work for about 8 months you can only imagine the characters i have come across. I not only work with some characters but our clientele can be quite funny. 

In my experience I have noticed a few different types of hair dressers. The first is someone who talks the entire time about themselves, their lives, families, friends etc.. Appropriate or not it doesn't really seem to phase them. Then there is the type who listens and nods the entire time because they cant stand what their client is going on and on and on about. Then there is the silent type. They stay quiet and so do their clients. The last type is the one who constantly gives out advice. Right or wrong they always have an opinion on their clients lives.

 I think my personal favorite is the one who talks about themselves non stop. I say that because watching them go on and on while their client looks bored to death, down right offended, or totally about it is quite hilarious to me. I once worked with a stylist who actually told a young client (early 20's) their whole sex life from start to finish. About mid way through I saw her look at me through the mirror with that "please god help me look".  This stylist was so into his story he didn't even notice she was mortified. The client and I just started to laugh at the craziness of the whole thing. He then went on to talk about fairytales/princesses...lets just say the conversation ended early due to the client and stylist getting into an argument. (Yes they really fought over something silly)

There are also different kinds of clients... First is the insanely rich. I am talking so rich they don't even know what to do with all that money. Then there are the ones that are very business and either pretend to be very busy and important by talking on the phone, emailing, reading paper work and checking out magazines all at the same time just so they look "busy" or "important". There are the clients who can't really afford to be coming to our salon but love their stylist so much they save every penny they can. Those are usually the nicest and also tip the best. The last type are the weekly clients. They come in once a week to the salon and know every person that works there and their life stories. In this group I think my favorite is the "business" class. They are the ones that walk in and don't say hi but in a whisper while covering the phone will demand "sparkling water" or "iced tea" which we don't carry. When I give them the bad news they look at me as though I am insane even though they been in the salon 50+ times and know we don't carry either drink. 

This week we had a client in who is beyond rich and brings in this massive beast of a dog. The dog spreads out while I rush to bring it water (by the way it's not even her dog. Its her friends but she takes it everywhere)....The client loves to gossip so talked to me for the next couple of hours about traveling, houses, her daughter being in stanford after going to Harvard. Blah, blah, blah... So I asked the client if she brings the dog on these lavish vacations and she said yes. I asked how the dog handled being put under the plane and her response "oh no dear we take her on the private plane". EXCCCCUSEEE ME! So as the service came to an end and it was time to pay and tip she hands me $3. Now I am personally so beyond grateful for ANY tips I get and I am not complaining by any means but when I have clients who are unemployed tipping me $20 and this woman who could afford my rent for the rest of her life and still be ok gives me $3 I can't help but laugh a little inside. 

Anyway I'll be back with better stories next week. I'm a little under the weather right now but had to get out a weekly blog :)

Until Next Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment